Friday, November 13, 2009

Amazed

I am amazed at the things that Mia comes home from preschool knowing. I must be a lazy mom that I haven't worked on these things with her much at home. I do work on certain things with her, but recently she is taking it all in and remembering.

Today she came home reciting our home phone number! I know this is a good thing for the kids to know, but I actually never would have thought to teach my four year old. I guess they are capable of learning a lot more than I realized.

Some other things she is learning:

  • She can recite all the days of the week. My other kids didn't learn this until Kindergarten
  • She can count to 30+. She starts mixing up the 30's and 40's
  • She knows many letters and sounds. Here is what she has learned at preschool so far.

Aa= "angry A"

Bb= "bubbly B"

Cc= "copycat C"

Dd= "dancing D"

Ee= "egghead E"

Ff= "funny f"

Gg= "giggly G"

Today she said they started to learn H. It is quite cute when I ask her a letter, she doesn't just say the letter, but says the little name with it as well. So "A" can't just be called A. .. it is "Angry A"!

I am so proud of her. She is doing so much better at preschool. She still doesn't talk really, but the crying stopped weeks ago, and her teacher said she is interacting with the girls durning play time (still not really talking, but she will make horse sounds etc. while they play horses), and she will mouth certain words to songs and sound of letters.

I just wanted to praise her for all of her progression! She has come a long way from almost getting kicked out of the class just a few weeks ago. ..I love you MIA!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is so great. sometimes we get discouraged too soon. she will be just fine.
becky

Linda Toolson said...

You are something else, Mia. Maybe being quiet and just listening is not such a bad thing.

Shareen said...

I'm so glad she's making progress and is having a good year of preschool.

Jaime said...

that is awesome. I love the names along with the letters, that is very cute. Sounds like she is doing great in preschool.

Jaime said...

p.s. just noticed on your weather thing that it's snowing at your house. Crazy! Do post some pictures.

Shannon said...

Congratulations to Mia and to you! That is just heartwarming. Seeing our kids struggle (shyness or whatever) makes their victories that much sweeter.

Shareen said...

What's the deal with no updates for 3 weeks?