Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Testimony

Last night for FHE we decided to have each of us pick one of our favorite primary songs and tell why it is our favorite, and then sing it.

Kennedy chose "If the Savior Stood Beside Me": If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do? Would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true? Would I follow His example? Would I live more righteously? If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me. If the Savior stood beside me, would I say the things I say? Would me words be true and kind if He were never far away? Would I try to share the gospel? Would I speak more revrently? If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me. He is alway near me though I do not see him there, And because He loves me dearly, I am in His watchful care. So I'll be the kind of person that I know I'd like to be If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me.

I think there is great power in singing primary songs and Hymns. When I asked Kennedy why she chose this song, she said she could feel the spirit as she sang and that she knows the Savior is near. Then Luke proceeded to say (without being asked or prodded. .. . remember he is a teenager now!). . . that as Kennedy was singing the song it made him think back of his day and what he maybe should have done differently and what he did right and what choices he made through out the day.
As I said. .. . there is power and testimony building experiences that come when we sing the Hymns of the church. We are not that great of singers, and we were off key a lot. . . . but the power of the words came true.

5 comments:

Amy said...

That is so sweet! I'm with Kennedy.. I love that song too.

Linda Toolson said...

Very nice. We can learn a lot from children.

Shannon said...

What a great FHE idea! It is always reassuring to hear kids share their testimony; great post, Kristie.

Jaime said...

This is such a terrific idea. I will have to remember this for when my kids are older. What a great idea. And what a wonderful testimony building experience.

Heidi said...

Thanks for sharing that! I bet your heart just wanted to burst hearing your kids making connections and bearing testimony. You and Dave are doing a great job!