Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Tis the Season

Hooray! It's Blog updating time! :)
I guess we will start with Thanksgiving. We hosted David's family at our house. I wasn't feeling great, so I felt that my preparations weren't up to par. . . but I think everyone still had a good time. I KNOW the kids did! This kids love playing and dancing in our new room. The steps you see are some built in seating that David wanted to put in. I will eventually make some cushions to go on them. Maybe after Christmas. . . . Jenn was nice enough to bring her paper so we could check out the adds. There ended out not really being anything good enough to entice me to stay out all night and then work the next day! I went to bed and tried to get some sleep instead :) I did buy a couple of things online.. ..I couldn't skip shopping altogether! Here is an update for Luke's eagle project. First, let me say THANK YOU to everyone who is making this possible! The donations are going to a great cause, and we are having a blast getting everything together. The Saturday after Thanksgiving we were able to go set up a Christmas Tree in the common room of the shelter. Let me tell you, they have high tech security at the facility. Electric fences, Stone walls. . .. they really try to protect these women and children from the situations they are fleeing from.
I think the tree turned out cute!
Now that we have seen the room, I will probably go get a few more decorations to make it even more festive! well, on the Monday after thanksgiving, we decided it was time to decorate our tree as well. we still have our old tree with a bunch of mis-matched ornaments. . . maybe someday I will get a new tree and buy everything matching, but I couldn't get rid of our sentimental tree! it may not be the most beautifully decorated. ... but we love it anyway! Just a couple of random out of order pics here. After we decorated the tree for the shelter, we drove over to the malt shop for some shakes and hamburgers. elizabeth had to show off her new TOMS that she bought with the last of her birthday money. . . she waited and planned to buy these, and yes, she saved her money from September to buy them when we had employee shop day at Nordstrom. On sunday Kennedy and I were able to get a couple tickets from Dan and Jen to go to the Christmas devotional at the conference center in Salt Lake. It was both of ours first time being able to see the Conference center. It's a pretty amazing facility. we stopped at the Tabernacle afterwards and it seems to SMALL compared to the conference center! I remember going to see conference there once while I was in college. . . We were a lot closer to the prophet then! Kennedy was dissapointed she didn't get to shake the prophets hand, but besides that it was fun visiting temple square and seeing everything all lit up and decorated. and just a reminder as we all head into the hustle and bustle of the season:
Christmas is what we make of it. Despite all the distractions, we can see to it that Christ is at the center of our celebration. If we have not already done so, we can establish Christmas traditions for ourselves and for our families which will help us capture and keep the spirit of Christ.
President Monson

6 comments:

Jaime said...

I love that quote by President Monson. That is a terrific picture of you and Kennedy at the conference center. What a fun time of year, and that Eagle Project of Luke's looks like it turned out great. As for your christmas tree, I think it is lovely & fun to see all the kids ornaments collected over the years. Ours is a mismatched tree for the most part, in fact I didn't put up our nice ornaments because of the baby getting them. But, I think it makes it feel more like a classic Christmas. Our Stake President & his wife still put up all their kids ornaments instead of a matching tree, and it is gorgeous.

Julia Kelly said...

I love the first picture, so fun. That is so nice that you and Kennedy got to go to the Christmas devotional. I enjoyed listening to it on my computer. I have never been to the conferance center either. Love those shoes that Elizabeth saved up for, that is so cute that she waited and waited to buy them for the extra discount...learning good buying skills from her mommy! (how was that for a run on sentence??) That nice you have so much family around for the Holidays.

Shannon said...

I love the picture at temple square - even though we only lived in UT one winter, I always feel homesick for the lights there.
If you do decide to buy a fancy matching tree, keep your old one with the family decorations and put it in your bedroom.
The tree that you decorated for Luke's Eagle project looks so pretty; I am sure all that you are doing is going to mean so much to the women and children!

becky said...

The tree did turn out really nice! and I agree with Shannon, always put up your "family" tree and then someday you can have your fancy one! Temple Square does look so beautiful, that would of been really nice to do that as a mother/daughter/sister event don't you think....love the shoes too, pink who can resist!

Shareen said...

Kennedy looks so grown up with her hair straightened & down. And so impressive of Elizabeth to save and wait for her stylish, sparkly shoes. Good luck to Luke in finishing the rest of his project.

Linda Toolson said...

You have had some really nice experiences. Talking about the lights on Temple Square reminds we that we need to visit the St George temple grounds. It's nothing like Salt Lake, but the feeling is the same.

Luke's Christmas stocking project is really turning out to be something nice for all of you.