Sunday, November 9, 2008

kicking and stroking

Today in church, we had a recently returned missionary talk. He had served in Russia. There were just a couple of small insights that he shared that I liked quite a bit and want to remember.

One time while on his mission, Elder Holland came and spoke. He told them a story about an olympic swimmer (he didn't name who, but maybe it was Phelps?) who accomplished more than any swimmer ever has. Some one had asked the swimmer one time how he had managed to be such a great competitive swimmer. He said that he kicked and stroked when he didn't feel like kicking and stroking.
Our return missionary used this analogy to service to others, as well as other things in our lives. How often are we willing to serve and work even when we don't feel up to it, maybe we are exhausted and just want to relax and take it easy for a while. The really strong, are willing to "kick and stroke" even when the times are tough. He also mentioned that his mission President and said that he wanted them to return home "on a stretcher".. . . meaning that they had given every thing they had and had worked so hard they could do no more.
How many of us are willing to serve in that way in our lives? And I don't just mean church service (although that is important). . . . I mean service in the community, to our family, neighbors, friends, and family? I know that I am not close to being on my stretcher (not that I am stiving for the stretcher, but ). . . . I have a lot to give that I keep inside. It is good for me to look inside and analyze what I can do better. What more do I have to give?

5 comments:

Julia Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing Kristie. This was really great.

Heidi said...

What a good reminder! I too need motivate myself to give a little more. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It sounds like it was a good meeting.

Anonymous said...

Well, some days I feel like I am on a stretcher but it is not because I have been working so hard to serve others. It is usually due to maybe my attitude, I have a long way to go. I will have to pass that on to Brian.

Anonymous said...

I need to remember that! I'm glad you shared it.

Shannon said...

Thank you for posting these thoughts; it definitely gives me something to ponder. I know I have felt that way before - maybe not kicking and stroking, but concentrating on just trying to put one foot in front of the other. It is easy to feel discouraged, but comforting to think of all the people around me (including you!) who continue to push through and still give to others.