Monday, February 2, 2009

a little at a time. . .

That has been my motto starting the beginning of January. I have so many house projects that have been in need of being done since we bought this house (over 5 years ago now!). So in order to get myselft to do them, I am not over whelming myself and just doing a little at a time. I don't make myself work every day. My goal has actually been to work once a week for a couple hours. Once I got going, I actually worked a little more than once a week. Of course we started with our closet, which I posted earlier. This is the rest of my progress for January.
I finally painted our bedroom. I am going with pretty basic colors. . . beige with white trim. I painted the closet doors, ceiling, bedroom door, bathroom door, etc. This is my favorite spot now adays. David got this chair for me for my birthday. It is oh so comfy. I just need a nice reading lamp now. This is my new bed set I got. I picked it out and was a little worried David may not like the flowers, but he didn't seem to care at all. I really like the blue, beige and dark brown. david finally placed the tiles for our window in the bathroom. We did most of this project last spring, but we tend to get projects MOST of the way done and not finish them. So I am determined to get them completed! He still needs to grout and seal it, but one step at a time it gets done! David also finished putting up the trim in the hallway and bathroom. This is the hall bathroom, or the girls bathroom. The old towel rack fell down, and I could just imagine it sitting there for months, waiting to be repaired, so I took matters into my own hands. I got these cool hooks and put them up, so each of the girls have their very own. I also painted the bathroom on the same day.

Here are Elizabeth and Mia helping with a little painting. This is the door to their bathroom. We painted that last week.

So that is it. I will continue with the painting this month. And anyone who knows me, knows how I HATE painting, but I am determined that a little bit at a time will make a difference! So into the hall way and then the living room, doorway, etc. I will not get overwhelmend, I will not get overwhelmed. And also the fun part will be picking out new carpet for our bedroom. The carpet it disgusting and I am so excited to replace it! until the next report. . .

10 comments:

Carlanna said...

Your bedrooms looks great, I'm hoping this inspires me to get going on mine.

Jaime said...

good for you kristie! I love all the pictures. The girls painting is so sweet. They look like they are concentrating really hard.

p.s. love the new blog layout

Heidi said...

I love that chair too! And the bedding looks good. I bet it feels good to have some of those things crossed off your to do list. I really want to redo our bathroom but am finding it hard to get motivated to do it. I guess I should take your advise and just do a little at a time.

Stephen said...

That bathroom tile looks great, and good for you to be painting your walls with your kids. I think about painting all the time... but am yet to do it. Maybe I'll go pick up some color swatches today.

Linda Toolson said...

I'd say you have accomplished quite a lot. It looks very nice. Can't wait to see it. Sometimes we hate to start projects because it can seem overwhelming, as you said. It is sort of like dieting--slow and steady does it.

Anonymous said...

I need to adopt your goal - a couple of hours a week. I cleaned my carpets this weekend and it felt so good to accomplish something. All your projects look so nice. Little improvements brighten every day.

becky said...

Wow, I feel sooo lazy. I have been a little unmoviated lately, just feel kind of tired and low on energy but hopefully it will pass. I did spend hours on my calling though :)

Julia Kelly said...

I thought i left a comment on here yesterday, but I don't see it...so here i go again...

Everything looks really great Kristie! Jacob and i (or should i say Jacob, i've done very little painting) have SLOWLY been painting our townhouse as well. I think I'm going to try and get the kids room painted before the month is done.

Shannon said...

Kristie, everything looks amazing! I love the beige/white combo for paint; it is timeless. And I am very impressed that you are letting the kids paint with you. Kids + paint = immense stress in my book!
I am excited to see more projects over the next few months. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Kristie... you are such a wonder. I love what you are doing to your place. It looks and feels so good! I love what your Mom said... slow and steady does it. Such a true statement.

I have to say, you have a way of conquering your mountains girl. You only allow yourself to stand and stare at the monstrosity long enough to get a clear view of what you're getting yourself into, but sure as that you conjure the strength to get yourself moving by simply putting one foot in front of the other; eyes forward, looking up... Steady goes it.

Which brings to mind... did you know that a rocketship uses 90% of its fuel capacity during takeoff?

I think this coincides with some specific law of nature I can't remember the fancy name for... motion, propulsion? Whatever. More than half the battle in accomplishing anything is getting started.

I can't believe you let the girls paint though. Whoosh, You're brave, but they'll never forget that you let them do that. High five!