Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Note to Self

Keep a better eye on my kids!
Yesterday afternoon I was doing some work on the computer back in my bedroom. The girls (elizabeth and Mia) were playing around the house. I could hear them, just didn't check up on them for a while. . . I was busy, you know!
After a while a started to smell something funny. I didn't check on it right away, as my gut told me to. But a coulple minutes later, went out down the hall and into the kitchen to a room full of smoke! Seriously thick and hard to breathe.
This is what I found:
Mia had started the microwave by herself to try to reheat some spaghetti. Really scarey. The house could have burned down. Now I just have to deal with the smell and the headaches that are coming with it from the smoke. I aired out the house all afternoon, but I think the smell will linger on for a while now. Ugh. I need to keep a better eye on my kids!
I guess we will be buying a new microwave this week. It was on the fritz anyway. . .

9 comments:

Linda Toolson said...

So sorry. That burnt smell is awful. At least you get a new mircowave out of it.

Julia Kelly said...

Yikes! I still remember when loraya was just a baby I was boiling her bottles on the stove. I totally forgot about it and we left to go for a walk. Like you, I was just glad that my house didn't burn down! But that smell was just aweful!!!

Shareen said...

Oh no. Why couldn't they have done that on a nice spring day (easier to leave everything open)?

Jaime said...

a great time to go to bath & body works & buy the oil warmer & some home fragrance oils. Just like one of my 365 pictures. It will have your house smelling fantastic in no time.

Shannon said...

Oh, Kristie, I am so sorry! Burnt plastic really is about the worst smell. Like Julia, I once left bottle nipples sterilizing on the stove. It was when we lived above the mortuary... you can imagine how pleased they were!

Becky said...

My dad put water on the stove to make spaghetti one day, then went outside to water the garden and locked himself out. It took weeks for the burnt smell to disappear (sorry) Get some good Gold Canyon Candles....

Anonymous said...

My 10 year old did this when he was cooking some ramen, and forgot to add water. Our microwave wasn't that old, but within a week, it stopped working altogether. And the smell was awful!

kelly said...

been there too.
we've had the fire dept. here for burnt microwave popcorn.
(our smoke alarm is wired to our house alarm and we were at the temple)

Carlanna said...

Ours was popcorn too - my son set it for some crazy amount of time. It was a few weeks before we moved and I left the microwave for the new owners (nice, right?) because there was no getting that smell out.