Monday, February 8, 2010

The "good deal" seeker in me. . .

Some of you may recall the story of our heat a little while back. In December, our heat went out and took us quite an ordeal to get it working again (long story that I didn't even share at the time, but it was a bit of a nightmare). At the same time as our heat went out, the glass on our gas fireplace shattered. So we had no heat, and no fireplace, either! It was cold for a while around here.

I checked into getting the fireplace glass replaced and was quoted a price over $200.00! That wasn't in our budget. . .
So here the fireplace has sat. . .
. . . . . for the past two months, covered with a blanket and then with this christmas cover in front. The Christmas cover was fine for December, and maybe even part of January. But I decided I needed to look into some other options to get this in working order again.
So this morning I took out the metal frame that held the glass to the fireplace and took it to a glass company nearby. Come to find out that they can replace the glass for under $40.00!! So all this time I have sat with this "broken" fireplace, and I could have had it fixed long ago.
So I am saying goodbye to the Santa screen. .. . well I guess I will next week when the glass comes in (this is a special type of glass that needs to be ordered). I am willing to wait one more week, and I will be happy to have a working, normal looking fireplace again!

5 comments:

Heidi said...

I am not sure what I like better the santa screen or your newly decorated wall...it's a toss up. :)

Good for you finding a way to replace the glass for so little!

Shareen said...

I'm glad you'll have both your sources of heat back soon. Looking at your weather it looks like you'll need it for a while longer.

Shannon said...

You are so resourceful! I would have written the big check, grumbling and worrying the whole time. I need to learn from you!

Linda Toolson said...

Glad you could get the glass. I know we had to replace our glass in the fireplace and it was expensive so I hope you are getting the right thing. But you are probably better at finding a good deal.

Julia Kelly said...

I could learn a thing or two from you Kristie! Glad you were able to find a good deal and get your fireplace back in working order.