Saturday, June 7, 2008

Wheat Waffles

My friend, Amy, has a blog that is totally dedicated to keeping your family healthy. She gives a lot of great ideas. I am not close to being as good as she is in eating healthy, but I have tried one idea she gave. I went out and purchased whole wheat flour, as well as a bucket of wheat (of course I don't have a grinder, so not sure how I am going to use this). The first recipe I have tried using my whole wheat is her recipe for waffles. I also used her suggestion to make extra to freeze for later. My kids ate the waffles up (of course they still have the syrup on top), and enjoyed having frozen waffles for an easy breakfast later. I felt that it was at least slightly healthier than the normal waffles I make. Luke put some peanut butter on his and bananas, I tried it and it was quite good. Here is her recipe for Whole Wheat Waffles:
2 1/4 C whole wheat flour
1 C white flour
5 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp sugar
4 eggs
3 C milk
1/2 C canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla
If any one else has a good recipe for me to try using my wheat four, let me know!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your kids liked these. I'm going to try different muffins this week with whole wheat flour. If one turns out, I'll let you know. Muffins also freeze pretty well, and defrost quite quickly. Makes for another easy breakfast.

Heidi said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I am going to try it. I love the idea of making extra and freezing them. I need to do that more often.

Gaylari said...

Hey I served part of my mission in WV. What part did you live in?

Unknown said...

gaylari,
we lived in the middle of nowhere. . .Lahmansville. About ten miles outside of Petersburg in Grant county. My sister lives in Morgantown right now. she is having a much different experience than we did, living in a college town. Where we were at was way too "country" for my liking.

Shannon said...

Thanks for posting this, Kristie. I will have to see if Joe notices the difference...