Monday, October 5, 2009

trouble maker??

Well, Mia might be getting kicked out of preschool!

I had talked to teacher before the year started about her little issue with talking to others. . . those of you that know her, are well aware that she won't talk around people, even people she knows and is comfortable with like her grandparents. We didn't think it would be a problem at school. Her teacher said that she has had other children that won't talk and that they gradually open up. I was hoping this would be the case. But Mia has to take it to the next level. . . . not only will she not talk, but she has been crying in class. One day I came to pick her up and she had been crying because she had to go to the bathroom and wouldn't tell her teacher why she was crying. Her teacher finally figured it out after playing chirades (sp?). I picked her up last Friday and she had started crying during lesson time because she didn't want to do the lesson, and then she gets all the other kids upset and worked up as well.
If she doesn't stop this behaviour, she won't be able to go any more. It isn't the end of the world, and I can always hold her back a year and start her a year later in Kindergarten since she has a late August birthday anyway. But I am not sure what to do with her. I called and talked to Shareen and she did a little research for me and said that in a lot of cases the behaviour doesn't correct on it's own. David of course thinks she is just fine and that I am worrying about nothing.
Should I just give her some more time. . . or is it time to do something about her behavior??
***Update: Mia did great at preschool on Monday. No crying, at least. So she hasn't been kicked out! But I did talk to a counselor at the elementary school and have Mia set up to take a couple of tests. She may qualify for some special programs that will help her overcome her "selective mutism"

7 comments:

Linda Toolson said...

I would tend to listen to Shareen if she had any idea about what to do. What kind of help could she get? Is the teacher telling you she can't stay in school or is she willing to keep trying for a while?

Who have thought it would turn out to be such a problem.

Shannon said...

Kristie, I feel so bad for you - and for Mia! Joe had such an awful time with preschool, but usually he settled in once the lesson part of the day began. (He just hated circle time, free time and outdoor time - basically, any time he didn't know exactly what he was supposed to do.)
I would consider having her work with a counselor. Joe met with the elementary school counselor in first grade, and it seemed to help.
Or there is always home school! ;)

Julia Kelly said...

I have no advice, just sympathy! Love you guys!
How does Mia do in Primary??

Becky said...

Kristie, my 5yr old Alison wouldn't go to primary, wouldn't go to pre-K wouldn't go to gymanstics class without me holding her hand the whole time, and then she still wouldn't participate. But, she just started kindergarten and loves it, she goes, she listens, she participates, which is a miracle because just the week before school started she kicked and screamed when I took her to primary (so bad they would have to take her out) so, hang in there, tresure the time you have with her because you know it will go by so fast. Listen to the teachers and advice but go with your gut, maybe she just needs to be with you a little longer (which drove me nuts, but I survived, haha)

becky said...

Lots of good advice already, so I dont know what I can add except another opinion. I would probably myself start looking into it, doing your own research and talk to maybe the school counselor at the elementary school where Kennedy and Lizzy go (she would have some resources I would think) and most of all pray a lot.

Heidi said...

I am sorry that Mia is having such a hard time. You have had lots of advice so far and I'd have to agree with you doing some research to find answers - and praying.

For a few years Cole was really worried about separation from Cord or me and it got to be a huge problem. But we found a book that helped us teach him some skills that helped him overcome the fears he had. It took a bit but eventually he come through. I am sure there are resources out there for you as well.

We're thinking of you!

Jaime said...

Poor little Mia. And you too. You have been given great advice. I'm sure things will work themselves out. I think you should give her more time.