Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Simplify

As most of you know, when we bought and moved into our house five years ago (by the way, I can't believe it has been five years! We moved in Conference weekend 2003. . . ) one of the things that I thought was wonderful at the time was how beautiful the yard was. Well, I soon realized that the previous owners LIVED in the yard. Seriously, they would spend hours out there making everything beautiful and perfect. I have succeeded to ruin the yard since we have been here. I don't have the time, or the green thumb (mine seems to be closer to black) to keep it how it used to be. Beautiful flowers, shrubs, borders, and large areas of plants were groomed to perfection with the previous owners. I have decided that simplicity is much closer to my style. Putting in a sprinkler system two years ago was a HUGE help. How in the world did they keep the yard up having to haul a hose around to water everything? Another thing I have slowly been doing is taking out beds that are full of weeds (thanks to my gardening expertise) and replacing them with grass. This was my project the past couple days I spent several hours getting rid of the weeds (weeds are out of control) and moving the rocks back to make the bed much closer to the fence line, and less weeding area in the future. I went and got the sod yestereday and laid it down. OK, so my yard has a VERY long way to go, but one little area at a time will make a difference. Or at least that is what I keep telling myself. I will be so happy next spring when I can get the lawn mower out and mow this little patch and know I do not have to weed it. Now, what to do with the rest of the yard. .. .

8 comments:

Julia Kelly said...

It looks great! Like you said, one small step at a time.

Unknown said...

Hi - I am glad you found me. Blog snooping is great. Your family is darling. I stink at the yard thing, too. I keep telling myself -next year I will fix that flower bed. Or next year I will weed better. Right!

Kenyon has/had leukemia. He had a bone marrow transplant in June and we are making great progress. That is the cure for leukemia so we hope that it is all gone and once he is better we can move on from the cancer thing.

Stephen said...

Hey Kristie! So fun to see how very busy you've been since the good ole days of girls camp, stake dances, and youth conference. You have such a cute family, and kudos on gettin' out there with the weeds. That's a lot more than I can say. You have a custom apparel business? Wow, very cool. Is it for kids or adults or both?

Shannon said...

Looks great, Kristie. And five years? That is really weird! Time does fly...

Anonymous said...

Yard looks good. Maybe you could try cement for the rest! no watering,no mowing. Just kidding. I'll get to see it for myself this weekend. We look forward to watching conference with you.

mycattripoli said...

i also love fixing up our yard- it is so rewarding to have a lovely place for your kids to play- way to go kristie!

Heidi said...

You did it! And it wasn't so bad right? HA HA!

Jaime said...

That looks great. What a perfect solution to the problem. I like it!